Meet Jathniel Shao
Jathniel Shao is a lawyer in New York, Chicago, Cleveland, and Manila. Originally from Binondo, the world’s oldest Chinatown, Jath grew up bouncing between Asia and America and speaks Hokkien, Mandarin, and Tagalog fluently. He practices the full spectrum of immigration law, from the humanitarian asylum, refugee, or special immigration petitions to all types of family-based and employment immigration and removal defense. He is a member of the bars of New York, Ohio, and the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Jath received his BA from Beloit College in Wisconsin, and his JD from Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where he was a founding board member of the Asian Law Student Association (ALSA) and the Filipino American Lawyers Association of Ohio (FALA Ohio). At the same time, he was a law clerk here at Herman Legal Group. Prior to rejoining Herman Legal Group as Of Counsel, he worked in the legal services department of Asian Services in Action and volunteered with the Legal Aid Society of Cleveland. He also serves as a board member of the Narramore Christian Foundation.
As an immigrant himself, Jath understands the joys and pains of immigrant life, and the different journeys immigrants go through to achieve their American dreams and secure better futures for their families and children.
Areas of Practice
Years of Practice
- State of New York
- State of Ohio
- 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Immigration Courts
- Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR)
- Founding board member of the Filipino American Lawyers Association of Ohio (FALA Ohio)
- Filipino American Lawyers Association of New York (FALA New York)
- National Filipino American Lawyers Association (NFALA)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA)
- Board member of the Narramore Christian Foundation
- Opinion writer for Rappler and the Philippine Daily Inquirer
Cleveland Law Office
815 Superior Avenue, Suite 1225
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Chicago Law Office
6127 South University Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
New York Law Office
29-28 41st Avenue,
Queens, NY, 11101
Philippines Law Office
Unit 801 Fort Legends Towers,
3rd Ave Corner 31st St.
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig