Frequently asked questions

If you are reading these immigration questions and answers, then you likely want to learn more about important immigration topics that affect you and your family. Immigration law is very complex, so please do not hesitate to contact Herman Legal Group if you have questions related to immigration or other legal matters. You may reach us at 1 (800) 808-4013, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


Important Steps For Immigrants To Live In The United States2019-03-04T22:12:25-05:00

What is a good online resource to help immigrants get settled in the U.S.?

If you are planning to live in America or have recently arrived, WELCOME! The following U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website page provides good information on the topics of learning English, applying for a Social Security Number, registering for the Selective Service, getting a Driver’s License, and reporting a Change of Address: https://www.uscis.gov/tools/settling-us/getting-settled-united-states

Immigrant Charged With DUI2019-03-04T22:07:09-05:00

Could I be deported for a DUI charge?

A DUI (Driving Under the Influence) charge is a serious state offense, especially for non-U.S. citizens. Even for green card holders, a DUI can fall into the category of crime that leads to removal proceedings or deportation. It is important that you seek legal representation swiftly from an experienced criminal defense lawyer who is knowledgeable about DUI defense and the consequences immigrants can face.

Bringing Immigrant Family Members To Live In The United States2019-03-04T21:57:01-05:00

What are the limitations of bringing Immediate Family Members to live in the United States?

The U.S. immigration system allows U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents to bring certain family members to the United States. Prospective immigrants under the Immediate Relatives category include: spouses of U.S. citizens; unmarried minor children of U.S. citizens (under 21 years of age); and parents of U.S. citizens (with the petitioner being at least 21 years of age). Other eligibility criteria, age and financial requirements also apply.

What are the limitations of bringing Immediate Family Members to live in the United States?

Preference Categories apply to family members of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents who are not considered immediate relatives. These visas are limited in numbers.

  • First Preference – Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, 21 years of age or older.
  • Second Preference (2A) – Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children under 21 years of age of permanent residents.
  • Second Preference (2B) – Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents.
  • Third Preference – Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens.
  • Fourth Preference – Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens who are 21 years of age or older.
Immigrants Stopped By The Law2019-03-04T21:23:56-05:00

As an immigrant, what should I do if I am stopped by the law or immigration authorities?

Be calm and be polite. Know that you have the right to remain silent and to have a lawyer present with you. You do not have to discuss your immigration status, place of birth, or entry into the U.S. If ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) comes to your home, you do not have to let them in unless they have a warrant. Ask the officer to slip the warrant under your door or hold it up to the window so you can inspect it. Do not lie about your citizenship or provide fake documents. Do not resist arrest. Call your attorney.


Call us now and get a consultation

24/7 Including Evenings and Weekends

Go to Top