The is the first of a two-part discussion of the requirements for completing Form I-539. A printable version of Form I-539 is available online. The form is titled Application to Extend/ Change of Status Non-Immigrant Status.
The form should be completed by your lawyer, an experienced immigration attorney, or by yourself. The parts that need completion are as follows:
Your Full Name
This includes your first name, last name, and your middle name. You also need to include your alien registration number (if any) and your USCIS online account number (if any).
US Mailing Address
This includes the street name and number, apartment or unit number, city or town, state, and zip code. If the mailing address is in care of anyone, you need to state who that someone is.
US Physical Address
This is the address (with all the standard identification items) where you physically live.
Additional Information Includes:
a. Your country of birth
b. Your country of citizenship or nationality
c. Your date of birth
d. Your US social security number (if you have one)
e. The date you last arrived in the United States
f. The following information about your most arrival into the United States
- i. The Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record Number
- ii. Your passport number
- iii. Your travel document number
- iv. County of passport or travel document issuance
- v. The expiration date for your passport or travel document
- vi. Your current nonimmigrant status
- vii. The expiration date of your passport or travel document
- viii. An indication of whether you were granted “Duration of Status”
The Application Types
You will need to check which of the following items apply:
- a. Reinstatement to student status
- b. Extension of stay in current status
- c. Change in status
- d. New status and the effective date of change
- e. The change in the status types you are requesting
- f. If you are the only applicant
- g. Whether members of your family are applying with you
- h. The total number of people, including yourself, who is filing the application. A separate Form I-539 must be filed for each person.
- a. The date the applicant(s) want their status extended until
- b. Whether the application is based on an extension or change of status already granted to a spouse, child, or parent. If so, provide the USCIS receipt number.
- c. If the application is based on a separate application on behalf of a spouse, child, or parent. If yes, additional information is required.
- d. If the application is pending, provide the USCIS receipt number and other requested information.
Additional Applicant Information
- a. Passport number
- b. Country of passport issuance
- c. Passport expiration date.
- d. Physical address abroad – standard information
- e. Whether you or any other person on the application is an applicant for an immigration visa
- f. Whether immigration has EVER been filed on your behalf or on the behalf of anyone on the application
- g. Whether Form I-485 has EVER been filed on your behalf or on the behalf of anyone on the application
- h. Since last entering the US, have you EVER been arrested or convicted of a criminal offense.
- i. A list of other questions regarding the involvement of anyone on the application regarding torture, genocide, killing someone, involvement in serious injury, sexual contact or relations (without consent or without the ability to give consent), or limiting or denying a person’s ability to exercise their religious beliefs.
- j. Many other questions that probe into your conduct including the use of weapons
- k. Whether you have violated the nonimmigrant status terms you now hold.
- l.Whether you’re involved in any removal proceedings
- m. Since you were last admitted or approved for an extension or change in status – have you or anyone else on the application been employed in the United States.
- n. Several other questions about you and the other applicants need to be answered too.
The Applicant’s Statement, contact information, declaration, certification, and signature
- a. You’ll need to provide your contact information
- b. Applicants need to certify many things such as that the photocopies are true and correct copies of the originals
- c. Applicants may need to provide federal agency disclosures and authorizations.
- d. Information regarding the interpreter such as their name, mailing address, contact information, and certifications.
Additional Information may be required
Call Herman Legal Group at 1 (800) 808-4013 or complete our contact form to speak with us about helping you prepare and file your I-539 extension or change form.