K-1 visa for Foreign Fiancé(e):
We understand how important it is to be with your foreign partner before starting your new life and getting married. Here, we will guide you on obtaining a K-1 nonimmigrant visa and grab a chance to make plans for your dream wedding together in the United States.
If you are a U.S. citizen and you marry your fiancé(e) and then apply for a U.S. immigration visa, it’s going to take some time to process the visa.
Don’t get disappointed when you hear that the average processing time for an IR-1 or CR-1 visa is about a year. There is no guarantee that even a year will be enough time— some couples report waiting up to two years, although this is unusual.
Fortunately, there is a better alternative. As a U.S. citizen, instead of marrying your fiancé(e) and filing Form I-130 to obtain an immigration visa, you don’t have to marry right away. Instead, you can apply for a nonimmigrant visa K-1.
The K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows U.S citizens to bring their partner to the United States and get married within 90 days. Afterward, you can help your new spouse apply for a green card while in the United States or adjust status to a lawful permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Taking this option instead of the marriage green card will probably save you several months waiting outside the United States because it will allow your foreign fiancé(e) to enter the US sooner.
The K-1 fiancé visa process comprises several steps, from filing Form I-129F (Petition for Alien fiancé(e)), receiving a Notice of Action, passing the screening process, preparing the proper documentation, all the way to attending the interview, and finally receiving the K-1 visa stamp on the passport.
Don’t be afraid- you don’t have to go through all this paperwork alone. At Herman Legal Group law firm, we run our firm on certain core principles such as ethics, integrity, and individualized representation.
To us, you are not just a case number or a way for us to make money. You are a human being who has placed their trust in us, putting your future in our hands.
We never forget that we work for you, not the other way around. We are at the service to our foreign clients 24/7 and can help you prepare your nonimmigrant visa applications. Our contact information is (+1) (800) 808-4013 or (+1)(614) 300-1131, or you can complete our online contact form for a free initial consultation.
K-1 Eligibility criteria
- It is available only for U.S. citizens as sponsoring partners, but not to permanent resident;
- The U.S. citizen sponsor and his or her fiancé(e) must be eligible to marry.
- It is available to same-sex partners, as long as one of them is a U.S. citizen.
- Prove the relationship’s legitimacy by providing firm evidence such as photographs, hotel reservations of trips taken together, flight itineraries, etc.)
- Proofs partners have met in person at least once within the two years before filing the visa form (exceptions include cases of extreme hardship or if in-person meetings would violate cultural, religious, or social norms).
- U.S. citizen sponsor and his or her foreign fiancé(e) must provide a signed statement indicating an intent to marry within 90 days.
- The U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must meet specific income requirements