Can You Enter the United States to Get Married on a Tourist Visa?

There are cases that foreigners who want to enter and stay indefinite in the United States try to accomplish it by getting a nonimmigrant status through a tourist visa or under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The next step in this pattern is to apply for the Adjustment of the status process. Why does this happen? Tourist visas are easily accessible with the U.S. consulate, and VWP allows citizens of designated states to enter the U.S. based on passport only. However, these visas and entry types are temporary and predicted to be used only for single intent visits, related, for example, to business or tourism. Any inconsistency in foreigner behavior is most likely to be interpreted as visa fraud.

2023-09-19T06:57:11-05:00Categories: Immigration Articles|Tags: , , |

What is the Visa Waiver Program?

According to the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) permits people from 38 countries the right to travel to America for business or tourism of up to 90 days – without a visa. Those 38 countries, in return, permit US citizens and nationals the right to enter their countries for similar lengths of time for the same business and tourism purposes. The VWP began in 1986. It is now recognized as a “comprehensive security partnership “with the participating countries.

2023-06-02T21:25:46-05:00Categories: Immigration Articles|Tags: , |
Go to Top