“The fastest-growing demographic, however, hails from Latin America. According to the latest U.S. census data, between 2000 and 2010, the Latino population in Buffalo increased by almost 25 percent. Six percent of city residents today speak Spanish, and at least five news outlets in Buffalo cater to this diverse community.”
One of the Spanish speaking news outlets in Buffalo is “La Voz de WNY, a Spanish-language public affairs talk show that airs on Time Warner channel 20.”
Panorama Hispano News
Panorama Hispano News (print and online) is published for readers in Western, New York, and Erie, Pennsylvania. The company prints 30,000 hardcopies each month. The website connects with 38,000 readers on a weekly basis.
Hispanic Heritage Council
The Hispanic Heritage Council is “dedicated to preserving the history of Hispanics in Western New York for future generations.” A few Hispanic resources, other than those mentioned, listed on their website include:
- Buffalo Puerto Rican Press [ Maria Rosa]
- IMAGEN NY Magazine
PO Box 31285, Rochester, NY 14603
- Latin Journal [ Maria Rosa]
- La Ultima Hora [ Luis Rodriguez]
Published monthly – free
- La Voz Rochester Community Newspaper
282 Hollenbeck, Rochester, NY
- WBBF 1120AM – Spanish Radio [ Un Encuentro Con Dios]
- WJJL-1440AM – Spanish Radio [ Radio Luz] & [ Impacto Musical Latino]
Special television programming highlights Buffalo’s Hispanic Community:
- WIVB Channel 4 airs “Hispanic Voices” on the fourth Sunday of each month at 5:30 a.m. with host, Gilbert Hernandez.
- Public Access Channel 20 airs “La Voz de WNY” on Mondays 2:00-2:30 pm, and Tuesdays 1:30-2:00p with host, Maria Rivera.