Student Visas

Student Visas

U.S. Student Visa

In order to study in the United States, you must first go through the process of obtaining a U.S. student visa. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determines what type of visa you will need.  Richard Herman and the Cleveland immigration lawyers with Herman Legal Group can help you navigate the student visa process.

Study in the United States

SEVP Approved School – The First Step

Before you can apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate for an F (Academic) or M (Vocational) student visa, you must first apply to and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)approved school.

Type of Student Visa

F-1 Visa (Academic) – Required for students who plan on attending the following institutions in the United States:

  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Another academic institution, including a language training problem
  • A university or college
  • High school
  • Private elementary school

M-1 Visa (Vocational) – Required when attending a vocational school or other recognized non-academic institution in the U.S.

Visitor (B) Visa – Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate.

J Visa (Exchange Visitor) – An approved visa category for non-immigrants who are planning to participate in work-and-study based exchange visitor programs in the United States.

J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor) – For non-immigrant individuals approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States. The J-1 visa provides a variety of opportunities for international students looking to travel and gain experience in the United States. Exchange programs include:

  • College or university student
  • Teacher
  • Au pair (nanny)
  • Short-term scholar
  • Professor and research scholar
  • Camp counselor

J-2 Visitor Visa – A non-immigrant visa for spouses and dependents (unmarried children under the age of 21) of J-1 exchange visitors who accompany or later join the J-1 holder in the United States.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.