Form I-539 is titled Application to Extend/ Change of Status Non Immigrant Status. Foreigners who wish to enroll in a course of study in the US need to complete this form if they are currently in the US on a nonimmigrant visa and:

  • Wish to change their nonimmigrant visa status (from B-1, B-2, or any other eligible status) to F-1 or M-2 status.
  • Want to extend their current nonimmigrant visa status. For example, extending your status is often required to bridge the gap between your current status and the date your change request is approved.

What are the requirements for completing Form I-539?

The core requirements, which you should review with an experienced immigration attorney include the completion of the following. A printable version of Form I-539 is available online.

1. Your full name. You also need to include your alien registration number (if any) and your USCIS online account number (if any).
2. US mailing address. If the mailing address is in the care of anyone, you need to state who that someone is.
3. US Physical address. This is the address (with all the standard identification items) where you physically live.
4. Additional information such as:

  • Your country of birth
  • Your country of citizenship or nationality
  • Your date of birth
  • Your US social security number (if you have one)
  • The date you last arrived in the United States
  • Information about your most arrival into the United States such as your passport and travel document numbers and information.

5. The application types. You will need to check which of the following items apply:

  • Reinstatement to student status
  • Extension of stay in the current status
  • Change in status
  • New status and the effective date of the change
  • The change in the status type you are requesting
  • If you are the only applicant
  • Whether members of your family are applying with you
  • The total number of people, including yourself, who is filing the application. A separate Form I-539 must be filed for each person.

6. Processing information

  • The date the applicant(s) want their status extended until
  • Whether the application is based on an extension or change of status already granted to a spouse, child, or parent. If so, provide the USCIS receipt number.
  • If the application is based on a separate application on behalf of a spouse, child, or parent. If yes, additional information is required.
  • If the application is pending, provide the USCIS receipt number and other requested information.

7. Additional applicant information such as whether you’ve filed for immigration before, background questions about any violations; information about removal proceedings; background questions about torture, genocide, forced sexual relations, and other similar issues; prior employment in the US questions; and other matters.

8. The US government asks questions about B-1 and B-2 extensions to determine if you will be a public charge while you’re here. The US wanes to know, for example, whether you are receiving any type of public assistance such as SNAP, SSI, or Medicaid. If you are receiving any public benefits you’ll need to answer questions about the coverage dates and the circumstances surrounding the benefits.

9. You’ll need to provide your contact information, certify numerous facts, and sign the form.

10. Additional information that may be required.

Call Herman Legal Group at +1-216-696-6170 or complete our contact form to speak with us about helping you prepare and file your I-539 extension or change form.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.