If you were denied a green card based on your I-485 application because you were employed illegally, you may have a chance to appeal the denial. Although you can appeal a denial to the Administrative Appeals Office, your case will be transferred to another office.

This is the last resort for you if you believe that USCIS made a mistake during the initial processing of your application. However, you should know that you will not be able to provide any new evidence if the I-485 was denied due to illegal employment.

Adjusting Status After Unauthorized Employment

According to citizenship and immigration services, unauthorized employment is any service performed by a foreign national who is not allowed to work in the US. If an adjustment applicant doesn’t abide by this rule, he/she may face a bar to adjustment of status.

This bar applies to any period of time prior to filing your adjustment application, during which the applicant was employed in the U.S., including before you left, during which you returned, and throughout which time you were physically present in the U.S.

Generally, if you are in the U.S. on a temporary basis, you may still be able to adjust your status if you maintain lawful immigration status unless I-485 is filed. You can do this in two ways.

First, you must show that you have not engaged in unauthorized employment since your last lawful admission. You may not be in lawful status when you file for adjustment, but you will not lose your green card or other immigration benefits for violating this provision.

In addition to unauthorized employment, an applicant for adjustment must wait 180 days after the occurrence of an unforeseen event. However, in some cases, an applicant can qualify if they have been working without authorization for at least 180 days.

The 180 days include the period during which they were in violation of their legal status, but only if they have not been working for more than two years. A person must apply for adjustment of status before committing unauthorized employment or another unauthorized status.

How do I get U.S. employment authorization?

If you have a green card, then you do not need an EAD to work in the United States. However, if you do not have one, you may need one to work legally. Employers will require an EAD from you to hire you if you are not allowed to accept employment.

However, nonimmigrant visas don’t require an EAD – your green card is enough proof of your legal right to work. Employment authorization means you are authorized to work in the U.S.

There are several steps to applying for an employment authorization document. First, you must fill out an application called Form I-765. You can find this form on the USCIS website. Before filling it out, make sure you download the latest version of Form I-765.

You will need to fill out your personal information and answer the questions relating to your category of work authorization. You must also attach copies of relevant documents to your application.

Is filing Form I-765 optional?

If you were denied I-485 due to unauthorized employment or another unlawful status, you have two options. One option is to file Form I-765 to request reconsideration of your case. However, you should know that you may not be able to do so immediately.

If you have been denied I-485 due to unauthorized employment or another unlawful status, you should consult an immigration attorney as soon as possible. He will analyze your situation and advise you on the best course of action.

The government’s immigration authorities may deny your green card or immigration visa for various reasons. Among the reasons given are security, health, criminal, or dependency reasons. If your green card application is rejected for these reasons, you have to file Form I-765 to request reconsideration.

There are several other options for appealing the decision. If you filed Form I-765 and received a denial notice, you can file Form I-290B for reconsideration. You will have to pay a filing fee for this.

If you were denied I-485 due to unauthorized employment or another unlawful status, you have another option to appeal the decision. The INA has two bars against you.

You cannot apply for asylum if you were previously prohibited from working in the U.S. Unless you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, you must file Form I-765 before filing I-485 for asylum.

Tell me the fee for filing an I-765?

You might be wondering how much a Form I-765 will cost. In general, it is $410. While you will probably need to file an I-765 to apply for EAD if you are not a lawful permanent resident, you may also have to pay a separate fee for an attorney.

What Constitutes Unauthorized Employment in the US?

There are several different categories of unauthorized employment in the US, including being employed without authorization, being self-employed without authorization, and volunteering.

In this article, we will discuss what constitutes unauthorized employment, and how it can affect your immigration status. The law applies to these types of employment in a variety of ways, including the following. Listed below are the most common types of unauthorized employment in the US:

1# Being Employed Without Authorization

Being employed without authorization is a serious offense that requires legal protection and attention. As a foreign national, you may not be eligible for permanent residency if you are employed without authorization.

For this reason, you must seek employment authorization before you start working. An employer may restrict their hiring practices to U.S. citizens and will contact the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) if they have any doubts.

2# Unauthorized Self-Employment

The definition of ‘unauthorized self-employment’ is broad. This time-consuming process is often a hindrance for aspiring immigrants, but it isn’t impossible. It can take the form of selling personal property or creative works, for money or not. Although this type of employment can be illegal, it is common, and even encouraged, among immigrants. Unauthorized self-employment is a type of employment that’s prohibited by the government.

3# Volunteering

While the U.S. Department of Labor recognizes that some volunteer work is legitimate, unpaid positions may still be considered employment under US law. Unpaid work is often a violation of labor laws and may jeopardize an immigrant’s immigration status.

However, some volunteer positions are legal and may not be considered employment at all. Examples of non-profit organizations that employ unpaid volunteers include soup kitchens, animal shelters, museums, and so on.

Consequences of Unauthorized Employment in the US

If you have been in the US and you’ve violated the applicant’s nonimmigrant status, you are likely facing the consequences of being deported or ineligible for adjustment of status. Let’s take a look at the consequences you may face.

1# Deportation

Having an unauthorized job in the US can lead to several negative consequences, including deportation. Depending on your country of origin, you could be deported. Similarly, you could end up paying fines and incurring criminal penalties. If you do not get your visa reinstated, you will be barred from entering the U.S. for many years.

The consequences of working without authorization depend on the specific type of unauthorized employment. According to the two bars in the immigration and Nationality Act, unauthorized employment can result in a bar from entry for three to ten years, or in some cases, even deportation.

Unauthorized employment also constitutes a ground for ineligibility for adjustment of status. If you are applying for a green card, unauthorized employment may prevent you from obtaining it. However, certain cases can be waived.

2# Ineligibility to Extend or Change Status

A failure to maintain status is a condition that can prevent a nonimmigrant from extending or changing their status in the US. For instance, if you’re a student in the US and studying on US Visa, engaging yourself in illegal work might become a hurdle in extending or changing your status in US.

3# Inadmissibility Grounds for Future Entry

Several grounds of inadmissibility are directly related to other immigration laws and can result in a person being excluded from the United States for varying periods. A few of these grounds, such as unauthorized employment, can result in a non-citizen being barred from future entry.

4# Ineligibility for adjust status

If you are working in the US without authorization, you may be denied an adjustment of status application. If you are applying for an adjustment of status based on your employment, contact an immigration attorney who can review your situation and determine whether you are eligible for an adjustment. They can also give you advice on the best way to proceed.

How Will USCIS Know If I Do Unauthorized Job?

How Will USCIS Know If I Do Unauthorized Job

Image Source: Pexels

How Will USCIS Know If I Do Unauthorized job? is a question many people are concerned about. Several ways exist to catch you in the act, but none of them are as easy as social media.

If you have a large organization, a coworker may report you for doing unauthorized work. USCIS can then investigate your case and determine if you are doing unauthorized work.

1# Social Media Accounts

There are many ways that USCIS knows that you’re doing unauthorized employment. One of the easiest ways is to check your social media accounts. You may find group pictures of your job on Facebook or Instagram. You might also be reporting this type of job to coworkers or neighbors. Either way, USCIS can investigate to ensure that you’re not working a job that is not authorized.

2# Through the Internet

Anyone can report illegal employment through the Internet to USCIS. They can access their social security number and check their bank account. You may have been receiving payments from employment that don’t qualify you for the green card, but you are working in an unauthorized job. Your bank account details are linked to your SSN, so if they find anything, they can investigate.

3# Someone Might Report You

There are many ways to find out if someone else is doing unpaid work. Social media, such as Facebook or Instagram, can be a good place to look. You might see pictures posted by coworkers or neighbors at your job, and this could be proof of unauthorized work.

USCIS can confirm your employment status by simply conducting a search. Regardless of your employer’s intentions, it’s important to be as honest as possible when disclosing the truth.

Can I get a green card if I’ve worked unlawfully

Can I get a green card if my work is unauthorized? Working without authorization is a big red flag that can hurt your application. If you were not authorized to work in the United States, you could end up in deportation proceedings.

Even if you’ve been out of the country for less than five years, your illegal work will still count against you. You must have the proper documentation to prove that your work was legal.

What happens if employment-based I-485 is denied?

What happens if my employment-based I-485 application is denied? Those in the United States who are denied permanent residency may be in need of an immigration lawyer to fight for their rights.

Whether you’ve been denied, or you’re still in the process, an experienced immigration attorney can help you decide how to proceed. There are many options available to you, and choosing the right one can help prevent deportation and give you another chance to achieve lawful permanent residence and U.S. citizenship.

Why Choose Herman Legal Group?

If you’ve been caught working unauthorized, you may be wondering if you can get a green card. Unauthorized employment is an immigration violation that may affect your visa and status.

The US government can find out about it through your tax returns, resume, or visa support letter. If you have been caught, contact Herman Legal Group right away. They are experienced in handling such cases. This law firm can help you get the best result possible in court. They can provide you with legal advice and guidance in the process.

You can schedule a consult with one of the experienced immigration lawyers at Herman Legal Group by calling 1-216-696-6170, or by booking online.  Consultations can be conducted by zoom, skype, WhatsApp, facetime, or in-office.


Working without authorization can have serious consequences on your immigration case. Unauthorized employment in the US can result in deportation proceedings, barring you from entering the country for three to ten years.

Unfortunately, if you’ve been caught working unauthorizedly, you may be wondering how to proceed. However, your lawyer can help you navigate this difficult situation.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.