UChicago Medicine International Patient Services
Our bilingual team is dedicated to serving both the medical and nonmedical needs of our international patients through:
- Preparation before you arrive in Chicago;
- Patient care management by experienced medical directors;
- Scheduling of appointments;
- Escorting international patients to medical appointments;
- Medical interpretation in over four dozen languages;
- Assistance with access to and translation of medical records;
- Arranging for access to medical equipment;
- Arranging for home care;
- Delivery of medications Chicago hotels and apartments; and
- Coordination with home country physicians after discharge.
UChicago Medicine has opened a multilingual primary care clinic in downtown Chicago for international patients and their families. The UChicago Medicine International Clinic is staffed with patient coordinators who speak Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese, Spanish, and Korean as well as English.
International Patient Care at Lurie Children’s Hospital
International Patient Care at Lurie Children’s Hospital has interpreters on staff to facilitate communication between doctors and staff. It can provide immediate access to interpreters via telephone, video, or in-person interpretation. The hospital’s interpretation and translation capabilities extend to nearly 200 languages through a network of external service providers.
Northwestern Medicine International Health International Health
Northwestern Medicine International Health International Health: Chicago hosts over 50 million visitors every year from almost every country in the world. Some of these people come to Chicago for the specific purpose of seeking medical treatment, while others fall ill after arrival. Either way, the Northwestern Medicine International Health team is ready to help with the special needs of international patients. Our team offers patients and their families support and guidance every step of the way.
Some of our available services include:
- Arranging for the transfer of your medical records;
- Translation of documents, including medical records;
- Arranging banking services;
- Assisting with dietary requirements; and
- Helping you locate local houses of worship based on your religious affiliation.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab International Services
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab International Services, formerly known as the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, is a research hospital that attracts thousands of patients from all over the world every year. Many of our patients travel across the globe to place their trust in us. Our Global Patient Services (GPS) program is ready to provide individualized services to our patients and their families before, during, and after medical care. All of our team members are registered, nurses, or social workers.
We can assist with:
- making international travel arrangements;
- contacting your embassy regarding immigration matters and patient sponsorship issues;
- interpretation from a variety of languages to and from English, so that you can effectively communicate with medical staff;
- releasing, exchanging, and translating medical records;
- establishing bank accounts;
- obtaining local mobile phone service; and
- securing local housing.
Our Global Patient Services (GPS) program provides a variety of other services as well, which are too numerous to list here. Since our international patient caseload is expected to increase in number and variety in the future, it is likely that our services will be expanded.
Contact your immigration lawyer in Chicago, Illinois should you have any questions and read more information about immigration in Chicago now.