The USCIS site is your main source of information related to case processing. It has a tool that allows you to search processing times based on your office location and form type. Here are the times for three different forms at the Charleston office:
- Naturalization (N-400): 12 to 17.5 months
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-600): 6.5 to 14.5 months
- Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 (N-600K): 10 to 22.5 months
If you’re looking to submit your form, you can do so online for a number of applications, including the N-400, N-600, I-90, etc. To submit your application online, you’ll need to first create a USCIS account. Here are the tips and steps for creating this account:
- The federal agency urges you to create an individual account instead of a shared account
- You can create an account by simply providing your email address
- Within 10 minutes of signing up, the agency will send you a confirmation email
- In the next step, you create your password and choose how you will receive a verification code. The USCIS also provides you with a backup verification code in case you forget the first one
- In the final step, you select five passwords reset questions and your account type. As an applicant, you should select the “I am an applicant, petitioner, or requestor” option
- After you successfully create your account, the agency will send you a confirmation of this fact to the provided email
- More information on account creation is available here.
The USCIS has a separate tool for checking the progress of your case as well. You can use this tool by providing your 13-character receipt number. The tool will provide you the same information you get by calling the agency.