Operating under the dept. of homeland security, The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles lawful immigration to the country. To facilitate applicants and information seekers, the federal agency has a website, phone service, and local offices organized into 4 regions and 26 districts.
The El Paso Field Office
Texas is divided into the Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas Districts. The El Paso field office is located in the Saint Antonio district at the following address:
El Paso (ELP) 1545 Hawkins Boulevard El Paso, TX 79925
The USCIS field office serves the following counties:
People looking to visit are required to following certain guidelines. The current visitor policy is available on the following USCIS webpage. Besides this policy, it’s also useful to check the visiting hours before going. The work hours of a field office may change for the day because of an unexpected event. Visitors can also reschedule their appointments by calling the contact center at 800-375-5283.
Case Processing Times
The USCIS gives case processing times in the form of a time range for many types of forms, including the N-400, N-600, and N-600K. Given below are the times for this application at the El Paso field office:
- Naturalization (N-400): 10 months to 14 months
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-600): 6.5 months to 16 months
- Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 (N-600K): 6.5 months to 25.5 months
To further understand processing times, let’s take the example of the N-400’s time mentioned above. The 10 months figure is the time it takes to process half of the cases. The second figure of 14 months is the time needed to process the majority (93%) of the cases.
Online Vs. Office Services
The USCIS website is a powerful resource for learning about the immigration process and also following the progress of a case:
- There are separate sections for citizenship and green card. These sections explain each option and also provide practical information. There is also a multilingual section containing topics in many different languages.
- In terms of online tools, there are tools for checking the current status and processing times, filing e-requests for case-related inquiries, and searching immigration options based on the current status and end goal.
- Another feature of the website is the option to submit the application form online. Many forms can be submitted online, including the I-90, N-400, N-600, etc.
- Incorrect form filing fees can lead to a rejection of the application. The website has a fee calculator that gives flat fees and also calculates variable fees.
The USCIS field offices provide different information and services, including:
- Interviews of applicants (except asylum seekers)
- Naturalization ceremonies
Besides these tools and resources, the USCIS also provides help with the civics test. The federal agency has a free civics study app available on the App Store and Google Play. The desktop version of the test is available here.