According to the U.S. government, a spouse is one who is legally married to another. The USCIS, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, uses this definition, among other things, for applicants for the marriage-based green card.

If you are married to a lawful permanent resident or citizen of the United States, you qualify for this immigration benefit. However, there are certain cases where couples are not qualified, like when they merely live together and are not married.

If you are applying to obtain a marriage green card in Akron, the immigration officer wants to know your marriage’s validity. Everything, from the documents you provide to the marriage visa interview you attend, is aimed at establishing this truth.

While a marriage green card may be the quickest route to becoming a permanent resident in the U.S., it is not the easiest. If you are not sure you can cope, feel free to consult with us to help you with the process.

What Is the First Thing in Applying for a Marriage Visa?

To obtain the marriage green card, you first have to fill out and submit Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. You will file the form with the Department of Homeland Security, USCIS; the petitioner files the form.

If you live outside the US, your spouse can fill the form out on your behalf and submit it. The form is only meant for spouses that are LPRs or US citizens, provided they can prove their relationship to the eligible relative.

The first step in helping your relative to become a green card holder in the United States is submitting Form I-130. The USCIS is impartial when it comes to approving immigration applications, provided the applicant meets the requirements.

Once the green card petition is approved, the foreign national spouse becomes a green card holder or permanent resident. Meanwhile, if the spouse is already in Akron, such may be eligible to get his or her green card by filing form I-485.

As for the minimum age for being a US sponsor petitioning or a spouse, the US has none. However, the government agency does require that such persons must be at least eighteen years old and be domiciled in the US to sign I-864.

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, is required for any immigrant visa for a spouse of US sponsors. It is a legally binding contract between the petitioner and the government that the foreign spouse will not become a public charge.

What Is Next After Filing Form I-130?

After filing Form I-130, the next thing is to wait for the USCIS to approve the petition. Once it does, it will send it to the National Visa Center where, once received, it will be assigned a case number.

The NVC will then send a notice to the applicant to complete Form DS-261, Choice of Address and Agent. However, this form is only required if you are filing without an attorney; you won’t need the form if you already have one.

Once you have completed the form, the NVC will start the pre-processing by giving the sponsor and applicant instructions for the legal filing fees. Once you have paid the appropriate fees, you will be instructed to submit the necessary immigrant visa documents.

These include Form I-864, Affidavit of support, civil documents like your birth and marriage certificates, application forms, and more. The required documentation to provide when the NVC instructs includes:

  • A valid passport that is valid for six months or longer beyond the day you intend to enter the US. The validity time of the passport will depend on the US consulate in your country.
  • Form I-864, I-864A, I-864EZ, or I-864W, Affidavit of Support, filled and signed by the petitioner or US sponsor and co-sponsors if available.
  • Two passport-sized 2×2 photographs following the requirements as listed by the USCIS.
  • The applicant’s civil documents, including the birth certificates; documents not written in English must be translated before submission.
  • Medical examination forms filled out and completed; the panel physician provides them after you complete your medical examination.

Once you have submitted all these documents and the NVC deems them complete, it will schedule your visa interview appointment. The NVC will send your file to the US embassy where you will be interviewed for the spousal visa or green card.

Can Herman Legal Group Make the Application Process Easier?

Herman Legal Group, which is available in different states in the country, including Akron, is composed of nationally-recognized immigration lawyers. These lawyers are dedicated to giving Akron communities as well as its surrounding areas expert legal services for several immigration matters.

If you have started the application process and are facing any difficulty, our lawyers can help you out. We are fluent in twelve languages, so we can help you translate your documents that aren’t written in English. We don’t work abstractly; we make it a point of duty to personalize your experience with us. We are not all about making money off of you; we want to help you get this immigration benefit. Our goal is to reunite you with your family member, so reach out to us via +1-216-696-6170 or by booking online.


If you are in Akron, the chances are that you will need a marriage green card lawyer when you want to process a spousal visa. At that point, what you need is a good attorney-client relationship and that has to come from one of the best law firms in the country. Instead of walking the process and getting confused along the line, why not seek professional help.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.