If you are married to a U.S. citizen or green card holder, first of all, congratulations! You have found the one person you hope to spend the rest of your life with; that is an achievement.

However, you’re strained because your spouse is in the United States and you only get to see them when you visit. But, since you and your fiancé(e) are now married, it is much easier to apply for permanent residency in Ohio, U.S.

With your permanent green card, you no longer have to visit for a few months and then have to leave again. However, before you can get this card, you might need to apply for a marriage green card first.

The marriage green card grants you the privileges associated with being a permanent resident in the United States. In other words, you can live comfortably with your spouse and even work if you want to.

Who Grants the Marriage Green Card in Ohio?

The USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) in Ohio grants the marriage-based green card at its discretion. Although it publishes a set of rules that every applicant must follow, the USCIS still decides which application deserves this immigration benefit.

Obtaining a marriage green card is the first step towards becoming a lawful permanent resident and, eventually, a U.S. citizen. Since it is a temporary green card, the marriage green card has an expiry date, after which you will renew it.

However, if you’ve been married for more than two years before applying for a green card, that is a plus. The USCIS can give you the IR1 (immediate relative visa), which is valid for ten years.

If your marriage is still less than two years, you will get the CR1 (conditional green card), which lasts two years. After the two-year duration, you will need to renew it to get the ten-year green card.

Furthermore, there is a certain set of eligibility requirements you must fulfill to get the marriage green card. These include:

Legal Marriage

Your marriage must be recognized in the country where you got wedded for the US government to consider it valid for immigration purposes.

Marriage to U.S. Citizen/ LPR

You must be married to a lawful permanent resident or the United States citizen, although the latter gets priority. Nevertheless, an LPR’s spouse is also entitled to a green card; both citizen and LPR spouses must prove their marriage is bona fide.

Valid Marriage

You must provide proof that you did not get married because you want to live and work in the United States. You will submit documents to prove the marriage started because you both want to build a life together.

You both must not be married to someone else; if you’ve been married, you will provide a divorce decree or death certificate where applicable.

What Form Do You File for a Marriage Green Card?

It is important that you file the right form to get a marriage green card; filing the wrong file can lead to denial. The USCIS requires that you fill out and submit Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) to get the marriage-based green card.

This USCIS needs this form to establish that you have a valid marriage to the green card holder or citizen. Once the form is completed, you will submit it along with certain supporting documents showing the legitimacy of your marriage.

If you live outside the US, you will apply for the green card using the consular processing. In this instance, you will wait in your home country until your Form I-130 is approved by the USCIS.

Once the USCIS approves it, they will forward it to the National Visa Center, which will then send you a notice by mail. The notice will give you important information concerning your immigration case and the next steps to take.

The next step is to submit your NVC filing package, which will include the required filing fees. It will also include your Form DS-260, your green card application, and proof of nationality. You’ll also submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, to prove your citizen or LPR spouse can support you financially.

Herman Legal Group: Working with a Lawyer to Get a Marriage Green Card

You can apply for a marriage green card in Ohio on your own, but using legal help improves your chances of approval. You will need the help of an experienced immigration attorney if you are applying for the first time. Considering the intricacy of the application process, it is very easy to make mistakes that can cost you the application.

Working with a good, experienced immigration attorney reduces your chances of making mistakes and improves your approval chances. We have experienced lawyers skilled in more than ten languages to be able to serve a wide range of foreign nationals. We have helped many spouses in the US and outside to prepare their immigration forms and supporting documents. To get started, you can schedule a consultation with us by calling +1-216-696-617 or by booking online.


The application and filing process for a marriage visa can be a stressful process, especially when you decide to do it all by yourself. However, it becomes easier when you decide to seek professional help from a qualified law firm like Herman Legal Group. We are here to help you at all times, all you need is to contact us today to get started.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.