If you are a citizen or resident of Jordan married to a US citizen or green card holder. You may be eligible to apply for a marriage-based green card, but you must apply at the US Embassy in Jordan.

Many stages are involved in the application process for a spousal visa, including the one at your local Consulate – called “consular processing.” The consular processing enables you to get either a CR1 or IR1 visa; both let you live and work in the US.

If you are curious about what they are and which one applies to you, keep reading. In this article, we have enumerated the differences between the IR1 and CR1 visas and also explained how to apply for them.

What Are the Major Differences between CR1 and IR1?

CR1 and IR1 visas offer the same immigration rights and privileges, but on different timelines. First off, CR1 means “Conditional Resident” while IR1 means “Immediate Relative.” The Conditional Resident Visa is given to beneficiaries who have been married for two years when they entered the US. As the name implies, the visa is given on a conditional basis; the couple must remain married for two years.

As a conditional resident, you get a temporary resident card, which is valid for two years. After two years, the couple is mandated to apply to have the conditions removed, after which they get the ten-year green card. Failure to apply to remove the conditions tells the government that the marriage has ended, in which case the foreign-national spouse must leave.

On the other hand, the Immediate Relative Visa is given to couples whose marriage is over two years when the card is approved. Applying for the IR-1 visa grants you a direct ten-year permanent resident card, without the conditions.

Once the ten years are up for the permanent resident card, you have two options. Either you apply for naturalization and become a full-fledged US citizen or you renew your permanent resident card. Since your spouse is there in the US and you want to live there with them permanently, naturalization is best.

What Are the Requirements for Obtaining CR1/IR1 Visa?

To get the CR1/IR1 visa, you will apply through either of the following consular processing processes:

  • CR1/IR1 (spouse) and CR1/IR2 (child) category if the sponsor is a United States citizen;
  • F21 (spouse) and F22 (child) when the sponsor is a green card holder or lawful permanent resident.

A CR1/IR1 visa grants the spouse of a US citizen or green card holder entry into the US, provided they fulfill the following requirements:

  • The individual sponsoring you must be a United States citizen or green card holder (lawful permanent resident);
  • You must be married to the sponsor, and your marriage must be legal in the country where you had your wedding;
  • You must have proof to show that your marriage is authentic, including photographs taken together and flight itineraries, among other things;
  • Your US spouse must meet the financial requirements to support you, which they will show by filing Form I-864, Affidavit of Support;
  • The US sponsor must be domiciled (based) in the US or have an intention of returning with the beneficiary.

How to Apply to Get the CR1/IR1 Visa?

The first step is to be certain you are eligible to apply for the visa (CR1 or IR1). If you are, your US spouse can go ahead and file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the USCIS.

You will need to wait a few weeks (or over a year, especially if the sponsor is a permanent resident). If the USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) approves the petition, you can proceed to the next step.

At this stage, the NVC has your case and has assigned a number. You will receive mail (electronic or physical, depending on the address you provide) on documents to submit and fees to pay.

When you pay the fees, the NVC will process your case and schedule you for an interview through US Travel Docs. You will also do a medical examination at the approved medical center; unapproved centers are not accepted.

Meanwhile, you are to submit the required documents two weeks before your interview to avoid a delay in processing your visa. You are to send the complete document package to the US Embassy in Jordan through Aramex; in-person is not allowed.

Why Do You Need Herman Legal Group’s Help?

Applying for a CR1/IR1 visa is a long and daunting process – and anything can go wrong without legal guidance. At Herman Legal Group, we provide this legal guidance at its best in the US and also internationally. We have already helped thousands of Jordanians through the process of obtaining a visa until they got it.

Therefore, if you have questions or need legal assistance with your application, you can reach out to us. Although we are based in Ohio, we offer services in the US and beyond; therefore, book online today or call +1-216-696-6170.


Applying for a US CR1/IR1 visa starts in the US; your US sponsor will file Form I-130 with the USCIS. Meanwhile, the CR1 and IR1 visas have similar immigration benefits, but on different terms and conditions.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.