The accountant has to obtain one of the following degrees or alternative credentials:
- Baccalaureate Degree or Licenciatura Degree,
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.),
- Certification as a Certified General Accountant (C.G.A.)
- Certification as a Chartered Accountant (C.A.)
- Certification as a Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A.).
It is necessary to obtain a bachelor’s degree in accounting or other related fields. However, the initiative to accept alternative credentials was adopted too, so there is a possibility for professionals who do not have a bachelor’s degree to apply under the accountant category.
Additional requirements for TN visa eligibility refer to:
- Proof of Mexican or Canadian citizenship;
- A proof of the job offer written as the employer’s letter of support, with all job details;
- A proof that a nonimmigrant does not have intentions to stay in the U.S. permanently.
Where to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants?
The application with all required documentation can be filed to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the U.S. Port of Entry for the Canadian citizens since they are not required to obtain a visa first. It is also possible to apply at pre-flight clearance or an airport after arriving in the United States.
It is possible to apply to a large number of ports of entry for Canadian citizens. However, some of them have changed their policy of accepting due to the COVID-19 situation. So, we highly recommend you call in advance before showing up.
On the other hand, Mexican citizens should apply at the U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico. After the TN visa is approved, they can seek admission at the U.S. Port of Entry.
Both Canadian and Mexican citizens can file the online I-129 petition with USCIS.