Citizens from Canada and Mexico can seek TN visa status and engage in business activities under different professions in the United States, based on The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
A TN visa is designed to allow certain professionals from Canada and Mexico – NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States. This article will explain how Hotel Managers from Canada and Mexico can apply for a TN nonimmigrant visa if they meet specific requirements.
The complete list of NAFTA professions you can find here.
The hotel manager’s job duty is to manage both the hotel and the staff. It includes planning and creating a strategy to maximize staff efficiency and the hotel`s profit. Guidance for other general job duties are in the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) issued by the U.S. Department of Labor, under the Lodging
- Control the hygiene in different spaces and appearance,
- Make sure that required standards are fulfilled,
- Provide information to guests,
- Track on budget and profits,
- Human resources affairs,
- Control of staff in fulfilling their duties,
- In-charge of front-office tasks,
- Budgeting and fund management.
It is necessary to have one of the following educational requirements to be eligible to obtain a TN visa as a Hotel Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree or Licenciatura degree. The degree has to be exclusively in the field of Hotel or Restaurant Management.
- Post-Secondary Diploma or a Post-Secondary Certificate and three years of experience exclusively in Hotel or Restaurant Management. Additional conditions are required in this case.
Post-Secondary Diploma represents proof of qualifications issued by an accredited post-secondary institution in Canada or the U.S. to a TN nonimmigrant who had not less than two years of post-secondary education.
A Post-Secondary Certificate is a proof of qualifications issued by an accredited post-secondary institution by the federal or state government of Mexico. The Certificate is available for a TN nonimmigrant who had not less than two years of post-secondary education. Also, it can be issued if the federal or state government recognizes the academic institution or if the institution is established by federal or state law.
Petitioner has to present his experience through a letter of support from a previous employer. The letter consists of information about the last job title and duties.
Additional requirements that TN nonimmigrants have to submit are:
- Proof of Mexican or Canadian citizenship (passport);
- A proof of the job offer written as the letter of support by the employer, with all job details;
- A proof that a nonimmigrant does not intend to stay in the U.S. after the TN visa expires.