Citizens of Canada and Mexico can work in the United States under The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). This treaty allows petitioners to seek admission for TN Visa under certain occupation categories. One of the suitable occupations is a Registered Nurse.
The complete list of NAFTA professions you can find here.
Registered Nurses work on providing and managing patient care. Guidance for determining general job duties is in the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) issued by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Typical duties are:
- Get familiar with the patients` conditions,
- Document medical history and observations,
- Distribute prescribed medicines and medical treatments,
- Participate in care planning,
- Communicate and cooperate with other healthcare individuals,
- Participate in diagnostic tests and analysis,
- Provide information for patients and families on how to behave during illness or injuries.
To qualify for admission to obtain a TN visa as a Registered Nurse, the petitioner should fulfill some educational requirements. Petitioner has to obtain and to be able to provide evidence of one of the following:
- State or Provincial License; or
- Licenciatura Degree.
State or a provincial license presents any document issued by a state, provincial, or federal government, as the case may be, or under its authority, but not by a local government, that permits a person to be engaged in a regulated activity or profession.
Additionally, petitioners have to obtain a Health Care Worker (Visa Screen) certificate, approved by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for credential validations. Verification refers to education, all licenses, registrations, diplomas, experience, and English proficiency.
Optionally, nurses can provide a certified statement from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) or verification that the applicant has passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX). If the petitioner provides an alternative certified statement CGFNS, he or she is exempt from the English language requirement.
Additional requirements that TN nonimmigrants have to submit are:
- Proof of Mexican or Canadian citizenship (valid passport);
- A proof of the offer of employment written as a letter of support, with all job details, such as title, description, and salary;
- A proof that a nonimmigrant does not intend to stay in the U.S. after the TN visa expires.