On April 19, 2022, Uscis announced the TPS registration process for Ukraine.

This bulletin provides information on how to register for TPS for Ukrainian nationals residing in the United States.

If you are a Ukrainian national currently residing in the United States but do not have permanent immigration status, you will be able to apply for Temporary Protected Status (TPS), a document that allows you to live and work legally in the United States as long as Ukraine is designated as a TPS country. Read this article to the end to learn more about the requirements.

What is Temporary Protected Status?

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) is a status regulating the administrative status of foreigners in the United States. It is a document that allows you to live and work legally in the United States.  This document is valid for 18 months. It allows you to apply not only for a work permit but also for a social security number, which can be renewed as long as Ukraine is designated as a TPS country.

When can I apply for TPS?

The TPS application period runs from April 19, 2022 launch date to October 19, 2023, a total of 18 months. During this period, Ukrainian nationals (and non-nationals who have been habitually residing in Ukraine) may apply for TPS online by submitting Form I-821 Application for Temporary Protection Status. When filing a TPS application, eligible applicants may also request an employment authorization document by submitting a completed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with their Form I-821

If I am approved, how long will the TPS be valid?

The current TPS period for Ukraine began on April 19, 2022 and continues until October 19, 2023. The U.S. government has the option to extend the TPS for Ukraine. If it is extended and you are approved during the current enrollment period, you will need to renew your enrollment during the next enrollment period.

What documents will I need for my TPS application?

To apply for TPS, you must necessarily prove three things: (1) you are a Ukrainian national, (2) you were living in the United States on April 11, 2022, and (3) you have lived in the United States continuously since then.

1.) Proof of Ukrainian citizenship

Passport, birth certificate with photo ID or Ukrainian national ID card with photo and/or fingerprints.

2.) Date of entry into the USA

Passport entry stamp, I-94 arrival/departure record or other document proving that you entered the United States before April 11, 2022.

3.)  U.S. residency on or before April 11, 2022 through today

  • Employment records (pay stubs, W-2 forms, IRS tax returns, verification of state tax returns, letters from employers, statements from banks you do business with).
  • Rent receipts, utility bills (gas, utilities, phone, etc.), business receipts or letters indicating when you received the service.
  • School records (transcripts, letters, etc.) from schools you or your child attended in the United States, showing the name of the school and dates of attendance.
  • Hospital or medical records where you or your child was treated, showing the name of the medical facility or doctor and the date of treatment or hospital stay.
  • Statements from churches, unions, or other organizations that identify you by name and location.
  • Other miscellaneous documents, such as birth certificates of your children born here, dated bank transactions and wire transfers, letters, U.S. Social Security cards, driver’s licenses, military service cards, contracts, mortgages, insurance policies, etc.

If I am from Ukraine, is the GST guaranteed for me?

No. Even if you are from Ukraine, you are not eligible for TPS if:

You are voluntarily returning to Ukraine or to the last country in which you ordinarily resided outside of the United States ;

You have not lived in the United States continuously since April 11, 2022;

You have been convicted of a felony or 2 or more misdemeanors in the United States.

If you have been arrested, indicted, or convicted of a felony, you must obtain a certificate of determination for each case and you must speak with an immigration attorney before applying for TPS.

What forms do I need to complete?

To apply for TPS, you must file at least the I-821 form. If you want an employment authorization document (work authorization), you will also need to complete Form I-765. If you want to request a fee waiver, you will need to complete Form I-912 (or request a fee waiver in writing). You may need to complete Form I-601 if certain “ineligibility reasons” apply to you.

These forms can all be downloaded for free from the USCIS website, but the application fee must be paid unless the application fee is waived.

Getting Help

Schedule a consultation with one of the experienced immigration lawyers at Herman Legal Group by calling 1-216-696-6170, or by booking online.  Consultations can be conducted by zoom, skype, whatsapp, facetime, or in-office.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.