After the U.S. citizen receives an approval notice for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the next step is to apply for the K-1 Visa, which is done through the online nonimmigrant visa application by filling out Form DS-106.

The foreign citizen’s fiancé(e) must wait for the National Visa Center’s (NVC) lead before submitting an online visa application. Once the case has been transferred to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, the NVC sends a letter to the Foreign Fiancé(e) advising them to apply for the visa and prepare for the visa interview.

Children of K-1 visa applicants who are eligible may apply for K-2 visas. Each K visa applicant must submit a separate application and pay the visa processing fee.

How do I get a K-1 Fiance Visa?

Obtaining a K-1 visa is a step-by-step process that begins with the U.S. citizen petitioner submitting the Petition for a K-1 visa to the USCIS for approval. The NVC takes over after USCIS approves the Petition. The NVC forwards the approved Form I-129F to the U.S. Embassy or consulate where the Fiancé(e) resides, and an application for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa is made.

File Form I-129F

Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), must be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Services office in the locality of the sponsoring U.S. national.

After the USCIS confirms eligibility, the Form will be reviewed, and the Petition will be approved. Form I-129F will be forwarded to the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC) once approved. The approval notice will also be sent to the petitioner, a U.S. citizen.

As of today, the petition filing fee is $535. The Form I-129F petition has a four-month validity period.

Please keep in mind that the K-1 visa has no set processing time.

The USCIS approves the Petition for a K-1 visa in about 9 to 12 months, the National Visa Center forwards the approved Petition to the U.S. embassy in about six weeks, and the K-1 visa interview until the visa is granted by a consular officer in about three months.


It is important to note that the USCIS has a slated eligibility requirement for a petition and K-1 visa to be approved.

1# Sponsor from the United States

To apply for the fiancé(e) ‘s visa, the petitioner must be a U.S. citizen and provide proof of U.S. citizenship during the Petition submission.

2# Legally single

The U.S. citizen sponsor and fiancé(e) are not to be married at the time of application, and if they were previously married, proof that the marriage was dissolved must be provided.

3# Intention to marry foreign fiancé(e) Within 90 days of entry

There must be a desire to marry once the Foreign citizen’s fiancé (e) enters the United States within 90 days.

4# Physical meeting with fiancé(e)

A physical meeting between the U.S. national and the fiancé(e) at least once in the two years preceding the filing of the Petition for K -1 Visa is compulsory.

Unless the fiancé (e) ‘s culture forbids it or the physical meeting would cause extreme hardship for the U.S. citizen sponsor, this requirement will be waived.

File Form DS-160

After receiving the NVC notice, the Foreign fiancé(e) should complete the State Department’s online DS-160 Form (the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application).

After submitting Form DS-160, the applicant, the Foreign citizen, contacts the U.S. embassy to schedule an interview with the consular officer, if necessary. The embassy/consulate will contact the foreign fiancé(e) if an interview is required.

Here is a list of U.S. embassies and consulates, along with links to their websites where alien fiancé(e) can learn more about scheduling a visa interview appointment.

It is, however, recommended that you see a sample before beginning the process.

Please keep in mind that submitting an application that contains any false or misleading information may result in a permanent refusal of a visa or denial of entry into the United States.

Supporting Documents required for K-1 Visa

Supporting Documents required for K-1 Visa

At various stages of the KI-1 Visa application, both the U.S. citizen and the foreign fiancé(e) are required to provide some supporting documents.

# Supporting documents for Form DS-160

  • If the foreign fiancé(e) has already made travel arrangements, produce a travel itinerary.
  • If the foreign fiancé(e) has previously visited the United States, please provide the dates of the last five visits or trips.
  • Résumé or Curriculum Vitae – foreign citizen fiancé(e) may be asked to provide information about current and previous education and work history.
  • Divorce information for the beneficiary: ex-spouse’s name, DOB, place of birth, date of marriage/divorce, and nationality.

# Other supporting documents

  • Birth certificate 
  • Two passport-style photos
  • A copy of your valid, unexpired passport
  • A medical exam form that has been sealed
  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • Police certificates from the foreign citizen’s current country of residence, as well as all countries where they have lived for six months or more since the age of sixteen, are required. It should be noted that police certificates are also required for accompanying children aged 16 and up.
  • Evidence of payment of required fees
  • Evidence of financial support, Form I-134 may be requested.

# Documents for the U.S. citizen

  • A Supporting Affidavit (Form I-134). The Affidavit of Support is a legally binding document in which U.S. citizens declare that they will financially support their foreign fiancé(e) without relying on government benefits in the future.
  • Tax returns from recent years Returns for the previous three years must be provided.
  • Evidence of a relationship with the foreign citizen’s fiancé(e). A copy of the approved I-129F package initially filed with USCIS can be submitted.
  • Evidence of citizenship

Who needs to complete Form DS-160?

Everyone who plans to travel to the United States temporarily must complete Form DS-160. In this case, because the applicant is applying for a K-1 visa, the Foreign citizen must complete Form DS-160, as must the eligible children in the K-2 Category, with the assistance of a parent or legal guardian.

The U.S. petitioner can also fill out the form on behalf of the K-1 or K-2 visa beneficiary, as long as the beneficiary clicks the “submit” button personally.

However, to become a permanent resident, the foreign visitor must apply for an adjustment o status.

DS-160 Confirmation Page

After completing the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, which is the application for a K-1 visa, print the confirmation page.

When attending the visa interview at the embassy or consulate and during all stages of the application process, the applicant must always bring the confirmation page.

The page contains an application number that will allow the applicant to retrieve their DS-160 easily. The consular officer will not be unable to process the visa without the printout.

How do I fill out DS-160?

Form DS-160 must be completed and submitted online. There is no paper version because, as the name implies, it is an online visa application.

As previously stated, viewing a sample before filing the Form for preparedness is recommended.

The Department of State saves the DS-160 information for 30 days. If it is not actively worked on or submitted within 30 days, it will be deleted.

The procedure and information needed for each stage are outlined below:

Step 1: Create a new application or open an existing one.

Step 2: Provide Personal Information

Step 3: Gather Travel Information

Step 4: Travel Partners

Step 5: Previous travel to the United States

Step 6: Address and Phone Number

Step 7: Passport details

Step 8: Contact Person in the United States

Step 9: Family

Step 10: Employment / Education / Training

Step 11: Security question and background check

Step 12: Upload a passport-style photograph.

Step 13: Review.

Step 14: Sign and submit.

FAQs on Form DS-160

1# What is Form DS-160?

The DS-160 is an online application for nonimmigrant visas with a temporary stay in the United States. Due to the temporary nature of the K-1 visa, the foreign citizen fiancé (e) must complete Form DS-160 for the Visa application.

2# Are all DS-160 questions required?

Most questions are mandatory and must be answered in the spaces provided. Meanwhile, optional questions will be labeled, and questions that do not apply to you should be marked “Does Not Apply.”

Furthermore, the system will not allow the application to be submitted if any mandatory questions are left unanswered.

3# Can I give my answers in my native language?

No, all answers on Form DS-160 must be in English and use only English characters, except when you are required to provide your full name in your native alphabet, as all questions are in English with translations to aid comprehension.

Applications submitted in languages other than English will be denied, and you may be required to resubmit your application.

4# Can I choose a different U.S. embassy or consulate for my interview than the one listed on my Form DS-160?

You certainly can. The barcode on your DS-160 confirmation page, which you must bring with you to the visa interview, is all you need to schedule the interview.

5# How do I sign the DS-160 Form?

The Form is electronic, and the signature must be completed electronically by clicking the “Sign Application” button at the bottom of the Form. Failure to sign may result in the application being terminated.

How we can help you?

To navigate the rough waters of US immigration law, you need the steady hand of an experienced immigration lawyer.

The Herman Legal Group, which was founded in 1995, can assist. The firm is AV-Rated and has been named a “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News & World Report. The firm serves clients from all over the country and the world.

Call 1-216-696-6170 to schedule a personal consultation with Attorney Richard Herman or book online. Consultations can be held via zoom, skype, WhatsApp, facetime, or in-person.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.