After receiving the K-1 Fiance visa, one of the things you should do upon entering the United States as a K-1 fiancé(e) is obtaining a social security number, in addition to getting a working permit, marrying within 90 days, adjusting your status to permanent resident, or obtaining a Permanent Resident Card.

There are two ways for a K-1 fiancé(e) to apply for a social security number. The first is right after entry into the United States when applying for a work permit or an adjustment status; both applications include a box to check for an SSN. The second option is to use a local Social Security office after entering the US on a K-1 visa.

Can I get a Social Security Number with a Fiancé Visa?

After entering the US, a K-1 fiancé(e) can apply for a US Social Security Card. However, the application should be submitted two weeks after entry so that the government’s “SAVE” system is up to date when you visit the Social Security Administration (SSA). With this, the SSA will find it easier to verify the fiancé(e)’s Department of Homeland Security documents online, and the SSN application will be processed faster.

It should also be noted that if the fiancé(e)’s stay expires in 14 days, the SSA will refuse to issue an SSN. The best time to apply within 90 days is two weeks after entry and before the last two weeks of the 90 days.

K-1 Visa Holders and Social Security Numbers: The Basics

As previously stated, a foreign fiancé(e) can obtain the SSN in two ways.

The first is to apply for the SSN through an official Social Security agency after arriving in the United States.

The second option applies to the Fiance, who is lawfully present in the United States and intends to apply to the Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for work authorization or lawful permanent resident status. SSN applications can be submitted using the same USCIS application Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) or Form I-485 (Application for Lawful Permanent Residency or to Adjust Status).

Although many prefer the second option, they find Social Security numbers more useful after marrying and applying for permanent resident status or work authorization as a US citizen fiancé(e).

After arriving in the United States, the US citizen and their fiancé(e) usually focus on getting married within 90 days, obtaining their marriage certificate, and applying to change the status of the US spouse to permanent resident.

How do I apply for a Social Security Number?

The application can be made in the following ways:

#1 SSN application using Form I-765 – Employment Authorization Application

Suppose the K-1 visa holder applies for work authorization using USCIS Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. In that case, the fiancé(e) can complete the section requesting an SSN card, and USCIS will send the data to the SSA to issue an original SSN or SSN replacement Card.

The foreign fiancé(e)] is not required to contact a Social Security office after submitting Form I-175 to obtain an SSN card. The Alien Fiancé will receive a work permit or employment authorization document and an SSN card once USCIS approves the application.

The SSN card is usually mailed to the address listed in the I-765 application no later than seven business days after receiving the permit from USCIS.

2# SSN Application using Form I-485 – Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

The SSA has collaborated with DHS and USCIS to allow applicants to apply for an original SSN and SSN replacement card using form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status).

All that is required is the completion of the section on the application to request an SSN card, after which the USCIS will send the necessary data to the SSA to process the original SSN or SSN replacement card.

After applying for an SSN using Form I-485, there will be no need to contact the Social Security Administration to obtain an SSN card. Following USCIS’s approval of the Green Card, the SSA. We will mail the SSN or replacement card to the address listed on the I-485 application.

If the SSN Card is not received within seven business days of receiving the employment authorization Document or Permanent Resident Card, contact the SSA.

3# SSN Application by contacting the Social Security office after or before receiving a work permit or green card from USCIS.

It is possible to avoid applying for a Social Security Number SSN while applying for a work permit or a green card. In this case, the applicant may contact the Social Security Administration with the required original documents for the SSN application.

A k-1 Visa holder can also receive an SSN card upon producing an unexpired K-1 visa along with an identification document and valid passport. This application can be made before a work authorization or permanent residency application.

Please use the Social Security office map to find your nearest Social Security office.

FAQs About Social Security Card

1# Can I work once I’ve received my Social Security Card?

An SSN is not a work permit; you must have an employment authorization document to work in the United States. Even though the SSN is used to file taxable income tax returns for individuals, employers can report your earnings to the US government using your SSN.

Although a K-1 visa holder can apply for Employment Authorization before Adjustment of Status, the work permit expires with the K-1 Validity Period.

2# Can a K-2 Visa holder get an SSN card?

As a holder of a K2 visa, you are eligible to obtain an SSN; however, you must first obtain an EAD from the USCIS before applying for an SSN. Employment authorization is one of the documents required when applying for a Social Security number as a K-2 visa holder.

3# Can a non-US citizen have a Social Security number?

A non-US citizen can have a social number if they are lawfully present in the US. Noncitizens, like K-1 visa holders, can apply by contacting the Social Security Office. The application can also be made with a work permit or adjustment of status application with the USCIS.

4# How much does it cost to apply for an SSN and a card?

It is free to apply for an SSN and a card.

Please Find Out How We Can Help You- 

To navigate the rough waters of US immigration law, you need the steady hand of an experienced immigration lawyer.

The Herman Legal Group, which was founded in 1995, can assist. The firm is AV-Rated and has been named a “Best Law Firm” by US News & World Report. The firm serves clients from all over the country and the world.

Call 1-216-696-6170 to schedule a personal consultation with Attorney Richard Herman or book online. Consultations can be held via zoom, skype, WhatsApp, facetime, or in-person.

At Herman Legal Group, Your Future Matters Most
Call now to request a consultation

24/7 Evening and Weekends for Virtual and In person.